Air plethysmography - BodPod
$15.00 / unit
The BodPod is a method of assessing body composition using air displacement (accuracy +/- 3-4% error). It is a quick, automated, noninvasive measurement process that involves sitting in a small, enclosed machine with a window for up to 5 minutes. This test accommodates most populations, including children, obese, elderly, and disabled persons. The Exercise Science Lab Director (Terence Moriarty - [email protected]) will email you regarding scheduling following receipt of payment or you can email and schedule in advance of payment (either works).
Note: This method may not be accurate for those with facial and/or dense body hair.
- Do not eat or drink anything (water is okay) 2-4 hrs before testing.
- Avoid gas-producing foods for 24 hrs before the test.
- Do not participate in any hard exercise before testing.
- It is not advised to schedule your test during pre-menstrual days due to fluctuations in water retention.
- What should I wear?
- You can arrive at the lab in your everyday clothes. Please bring a swimsuit or tight fit clothing such as bike shorts & a sports bra (loose clothing will trap air and lead to unreliable results).
- What will the test tell me?
- Results from this test include percent body fat and percent fat-free mass.