$5.00 / unit
A 3-site skinfold measurement using calipers is used to predict relative body fat and lean mass. Skinfold measurement sites differ between sexes: triceps, suprailiac, and thigh for women; chest, abdomen, and thigh for men.
This body composition technique is not as accurate as hydrostatic weighing but estimates body fat with reasonable accuracy (+/- 3.5% error). It is a good technique to monitor changes over time. The Exercise Science Lab Director (Terence Moriarty - [email protected]) will email you regarding scheduling following receipt of payment or you can email and schedule in advance of payment (either works).
- Do not eat or drink anything (water is okay) 2-4 hrs before testing.
- Avoid gas-producing foods for 24 hrs before the test.
- Do not participate in any hard exercise before testing.
- Avoid using body lotion before the test.
- Women should wear clothing that allows us to access the upper arm, hip, and mid-thigh. Men should wear clothing that allows us to access the chest, abdomen, and mid-thigh.